Sunday, November 20, 2005

Golblet of Crap...

I was just trying to get a rise out of you... So I just got back from the new Harry Potter and I have to say it was OK. I've never been to a theater in China so that was a new experience. I just felt like I needed to see a good copy of the movie to evaluate it properly. The sound quality is horrible in the theaters here so they try to make up for it by putting the volume up to "ear bleeding" levels. And it cost 70 RMB, which is about 9 dollars. Surprising considering most things in China are cheaper than their American counterpart. I was feeling truly American after having lunch at McDonald's so I didn't mind much.... besides, it's Harry Potter for god's sake!

So the movie is alright until I realize that I'm 23 and alone in a theater full of Kids and their parents. I spend the rest of the movie thinking about what this means. A couple of quick thoughts on the movie that I had between pondering my life:

1) Love Voldemort. Fiennes was and is going to be good in this role. I want to know if they pushed his nose down using makeup or they just used CGI.

2) Not enough time to cover everything. Minor characters are given the backseat to harry and his crew which is good and bad. Good in that it's the only way the movie stays 2 hours 20 min or so, but bad in that what's great about the books is the many characters and the virtual world that Rowlands weaves.

3) What's with moaning mertle hitting on potter when he's taking a bath? That was a little disturbing... pretty soon they are just going to go all out with sex scenes and an NC-17 rating. Mark my words.

4) Why doesn't harry just conjure up his broom for the third task like he did in the first. I mean he did have his wand didn't he... and he was allowed to use it...

5) since when was "Bloody Hell" considered not a curse and something Children should be subjected to numerous times? Think about it... and then think about what this world is coming too. And no I'm not 80 years old.

6) I say we need a new Harry Potter. Daniel Radcliffe has lost his edge. (I'm just saying this to incite discussion amongst my readers... yes readers)

7) is anyone else excited for the day the 7th movie comes out on DVD so as to facilitate the worlds most magical marathon ever? If you didn't already know, I am a major dork.

8) I also can't wait for the scene in the near future when the entire Griffindor House has an intervention for Neville Longbottom to confront him about his weight loss, punctuated by Hermine's line "Bloody hell! you need to lay off the Blow you git!"

9) Why is Harry continually amazed by magic? At the beginning of the movie he walks into a smallish sized tent and the inside is huge. It's takes him a couple minutes to get over this and all he can utter is "I love Magic." Get over it Harry. You've been a wizard in training for too long to let your jaw hang agap over magic.

I give the movie props for moving in a darker direction but it was something that was called for so not too many props (should I say "much" here... is props plural or not? Maybe if I was black I would know this...). The movies have become a little to cookie-cutter to me if you know what I mean. Maybe a little too fast paced but all and all I think they did a good job on it. Will be looking forward to the next one because I really can't stop now. Everybody is doing it, is another one of my excuses. The End.

No comments: